Mold Found in Laundry Linked to Illness, Even Death
A recent report in the trade publication Becker’s Hospital Review relays a disturbing story that mold found in laundry was linked to illness, even death. Bed linens that had been outsourced to an external laundry company may have developed mold due to an improperly set up air circulation system. Although no definitive evidence is available, up to five deaths might be due to the mold.
What to Be Aware Of
Here are some recommendations on how to deal with mold, based on information from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):
- Ensure damp items are dry before mold has a chance to grow. In most cases, mold will not grow if wet or damp items are dried within 24-48 hours.
- Mold can generally be removed from hard surfaces by wiping or scrubbing with water and detergent. Always follow the cleaning instructions on product labels. Surfaces cleaned by damp wiping should be dried quickly and thoroughly to discourage further mold growth.
- High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) vacuums are recommended for final clean up after materials have been thoroughly dried and contaminated materials have been removed.
Here are some additional recommendations on general healthcare cleanliness, based on information from the U.S. Centers For Disease Control (CDC):
- Always note the specific cleaning instructions on textiles, fabrics, drapes, clothing, etc. and follow them. As a general rule, items should be washed at a temperature of at least 160°F for a minimum of 25 minutes.
- Chlorine bleach is a primary cleaning option (although chlorine alternatives should be used when necessary).
- If a patient is having frequent episodes of diarrhea, it may be a sign of infection.
Johnston & Healthcare
At Johnston, we will work with your facility to meet your standards of cleanliness, along with your legal and governmental obligations.
With cleaning equipment, we will train your staff on how to effectively operate and maintain your investment. We can produce customized wall charts for your staff to refer to for proper daily maintenance and cleaning of your equipment. You’ll also have access to our team of knowledgeable service technicians.
Our partner affiliations also allow us access to group purchasing organizations. This means we can get you the products you need at a reasonable price.
Besides the cleaning and maintenance of your facilities, Johnston provides many other products used in your daily operations. Reach out to us! Visit our contact page today and have a Johnston expert contact you.
Johnston has always stood for reliability, commitment, quality, and service. Our heritage means years of accumulated industry knowledge, the ability to see the bigger picture, and the know-how to determine the best possible approach. Combining this mastery with the drive to deliver exceptional results, Johnston goes beyond sales, developing strategic, end-to-end tailored solutions for its customer since 1881.